Home improvement projects can be a fun way to put a personal touch on a pre-owned home, but sometimes, the projects are better left to the pros. One unintentional swing to a foundational beam or a pipe could cause unfortunate damage. So what home improvement tasks are fine for DIY with your honey, and which ones should be “DIFY” (do it for you)?
DIY: Do It Yourself
- Yard landscaping
- Installing new fixtures like shower heads, faucets, and cabinetry hardware
- Painting walls, staining fences, and sealing patios
- Installing window treatments like curtains, blinds, shutters, etc.
Of course, all DIY projects are based on skill level. If you’re already a pretty handy person, you may have a little more wiggle room when it comes to types of projects you can manage.
DIFY: Do It For You
- Any electrical / re-wiring tasks
- Any plumbing / re-piping tasks
- Re-flooring, especially hardwood flooring
- Installing cabinetry, countertops, and/ or backsplashes
Remember, it’s better to hire a professional to do the job right the first time then spend thousands of dollars for them to come and repair a project you’ve already invested time and money.